Saturday 16 March 2013

Codes and Conventions of Ancillary Text 1 - digipak

  • A cover for its release as part of a digipak (CD/DVD package)

This is an example of a digipak for a CD. This example fits the style, which I would like to create for my own digipak. It promotes a female solo artist and uses a variety of shots for the photos (including medium shot, CU and MCU.) But on the other hand I also think although this fits the genre of singer/songwriter and it is also quite country style, I am trying to promote more within the genre of folk/indie rock.


The above digipak is a promotion for the female solo artist Lissie, this fits well with the style which I would like to recreate. I like how the front and back covers correspond with each other and then there is a completely different style of image inside. The front cover image is a MCU and looks rather serious. I also like the colour scheme of light, pastel colour with an element of a natural image and nothing too superficial.


The above image shows the digipak for the album "Sigh No More" by Mumford & Sons, which my song White Blank Page was originally released on. I like the how all the images correspond with each other. The image is also quite unconventional for a album cover because the actual band are in an extreme long shot and aren't the central focus. The audience's eyes are drawn to the house and although the band are stood in the window they aren't central to the image and almost seem disguised. Although this digipak fits the genre of folk/indie rock. he cover of their song which I am creating a music video for is sung by a female solo artist so I will use more CU images, where she looks into the camera and engages with the audience.



The above image is a digipak promoting the male solo artist Patrick Davis. I like the images on this digipak, because they include iconic photographs of America in particular Las Vegas. These images give the album a more credible edge, and if I included similar images it will make the digipak look more realistic and professional.


This digipak is promotion material for the female solo artist Rihanna. I like the feminine images that are used along with the continued use of the colour pink in each image. I also like the use of such small text, which let the images of Rihanna do all the talking.

No comments:

Post a Comment